Tuesday 17 September 2013

Christmas Sizzix Easel Card

 I've loved seeing some of the Flying Easel cards recently - in particular Karen Burniston's, and the cards she links to in this post on her blog. (She also has a tutorial, if you are interested in making your own.)
I thought I'd have a go at making a Christmassy one. I'm sad it's such a dull day today, because this is a sparkly card! Oh well, hopefully you get the idea of it.
I cut the card base with Karen's Pop 'n Cuts A2 card die, and followed the instructions on her blog - which basically involves cutting an opening with one die (I used the majestic Labels Sizzix Framelits), then using a larger die, to cut half a frame around the smaller opening. When you bend the top half of the card in half, the frame bit sticks up.
I made an extra frame in silver glitter card, to stick on top, and stuck two little bits of co-ordinating card on the card base, to stop the folded-over bit from slipping forwards.
The card still folds down flat, depending on what you decorate the card with, and it makes a really pretty window through to the card floor. I made some quite stiff dimensional snowflakes though, so mine won't fit in an envelope, but it would be easy to hang something in the window which is flat, or can fold flat.
For my snowflakes, I trapped some cotton in between the the silver glitter frame, and the cardstock frame behind it, and added some sequins, glued back to back. Each snowflake is made from 3 die cuts (from Marianne Creatables), folded and glued, with a folded silver sequin glued in the centre of each.
I had fun decorating the rest of the card then, with more snowflakes, paper flowers, and swirls and greenery cut from Tim Holtz's festive Greenery die. I used Tim Holtz Crinkle Ribbon for the bow, using Beacon's glue to hold the drapey bits in place.
For the floor of the card, I used Karen Burniston's Fancy Frame Bigz die, and an old sentiment stamp, embossed with silver embossing powder. (That embossing powder always reminds me of my Granny - it was my first ever embossing powder, which she bought back from a trip to America, for me. I'd never even heard of it before - this was probably 20 or so years ago! Good memories! My Granny's been dead for 8 years - I know she'd be chuffed to know I'm still getting good use out of it!)

Some of the products used:

   

7 comments:

  1. My goodness, this is about the loveliest thing I have seen...gorgeous, gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! Just gorgeous, Helen. I love the sparkly serene-ness of this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow that is a beautiful card. I love the sequins hanging from the twine & the lovely flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Helen your card is an elegant winter wonderland!
    I just love your powder blue, creamy, silver glittered color scheme!
    It is truly perfection!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Helen, you are quite the genius. I am glad you did your card with a long die. That's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for the beautiful inspiration. I've only made one easel card and gave that to a special someone. But, to do it the Karen B. way is so cool.

    ReplyDelete