Sunday 4 March 2018

Tim Holtz Distress Ink & Sizzix Funky Floral (Karen Burniston Cupcake) Pop-Up Birthday Card

It's one of my best friends' birthdays today, so I made this card for her.

I really liked Tim Holtz's new Funky Floral #1 die set when I saw it before it was released, and I bought it as soon as it came out. I used it to cut quite a few flowers and leaves, using pastel coloured card stock. (My laptop happened to be the least cluttered surface to put the due cuts on!)

I used mini Distress Inks with the mini blending tool to add more colour to the die cuts (I've linked at the bottom to the ink colours used), and glued the parts together with a fineline glue applicator. (Especially love those berries!)

I wanted to have the flowers in a container which would pop up, so I used Karen Burniston's Cupcake Pop-up die set, to create the pop-up card base. I cut away the sides of the pop-up cupcake shape, and it was then the perfect size for the flower container which I added.

I inked and then embossed a canning jar (from Eileen Hull's Sizzix Scoreboard 3D Canning Jars die), using Brenda Walton's Sizzix 'Trellis' Textured Impressions embossing folder. I then just built up the flowers and leaves, using a fineline glue applicator. I used adhesive foam pads to attach just a couple of the top flowers.

You can see from the side view that the card is actually quite flat still. It folds closed really well, but the Cupcake Pop-up die is great for giving the impression of loads of dimension. I love it!

 The red patterned papers are from a new 12x12 pad which arrived yesterday - First Edition's 'Wonderlust' pad. The wood grain patterned paper is from an old Simple Stories collection.
For the card front I added Karen Burniston's new Happy Birthday die, and a 'JO', using Neat and Tangled's Journaling Alphas die, plus some more Funky Florals.

I really like how this card turned out! It's kind of what I envisaged when I first saw the Funky Floral set.

I also thought I'd share this card in the Crafty Cardmakers Floral Delight challenge.


Links to products:

2 comments:

  1. Another great pop up card - and the flowers are gorgeous! I really like the colours you have used for them. Thank you for joining us at Crafty Cardmakers this time.

    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just came across this card and I just wanted to say, "it's spectacular"! The Funky Florals look amazing used this way - totally inspired by this card!

    ReplyDelete